Taekwondo is an ancient form of Martial Arts (unarmed combat) practiced for many centuries in the Orient, and came to be perfected in its present form in Korea. It is not only an effective, weaponless art of self-defense, but also a competitive sport and a good method of maintaining all-round fitness.
Taekwondo is famous not only for it's highly skilled leg techniques but for it's speed and tremendous power, as seen in demonstrations.
There are basically two styles of Taekwondo, namely ITF and WTF i.e. International Taekwondo Federation and World Taekwondo Federation respectively. ITF-Taekwondo is a more traditional style, whereas WTF-Taekwondo has a stronger emphasis on competitive sparring and is the style you commonly see in the Olympics.
We practice ITF- Taekwondo, as originally developed in Korea in 1955 by General Choi Hong Hi.
Irrespective of the particular style of Taekwondo practiced, you will find that there are four common disciplines that when combined form the art. These disciplines are Patterns, Sparring, Self-Defense and Destruction (a.k.a. breaking techniques).
At the very heart of Taekwondo are the five Tenets, which help to provide a sort of code of ethics. The five Tenets of Taekwondo are:
- Courtesy (Ye Ui). To be thoughtful and considerate of others. Taekwondo students should be polite, and show consideration for others.
- Integrity (Yom Chi). Integrity describes how you should interact with others. To be honest and good, earn respect and trust.
- Perseverance (In Nae). This basically stands for your internal drive. Challenges allow us to improve ourselves and should therefore not be avoided.
- Self control (Guk Ki). To have control of your body and mind. A Taekwondo student should practice controlling his actions and reactions.
- Indomitable spirit (Baekjool Boolgool). To have courage in the face of adversity. A Taekwondo student should never be dominated by, or have his spirit broken by another.
Whether you're a young 6 year old, or a more mature 60+ year old there is no doubt you can benefit from regular training in Taekwondo.
If you are looking to increase your fitness level, improve flexibility, or build a more healthier and toned body then Taekwondo is definitely for you. We provide training that has been scientifically designed to help you get fit, supple, and stay naturally toned.
No matter if you're an experienced Martial Artist or complete novice, you'll find we have something to offer you. From performing patterns (a set sequence of techniques), and sparring (sort of pretend fighting...wearing protective pads) to self-defense and breaking techniques (amaze your friends by breaking pieces of wood!)